While YouTube is known for free content, the platform also has a collection of original shows that are typically behind a paywall. YouTube Originals have previously only been available to those who subscribe to YouTube Premium for $11.99/month.
Now, YouTube is following the lead of other services in making some of that content free for anyone to stream.
YouTube Originals available for free in front of the paywall include the mystery series “Escape the Night,” the comedy about dating “Sideswiped,” the thriller “Impulse,” and more.
Variety reports that YouTube will be making more series available in the upcoming weeks, including family friendly titles “We Are Savvy,” “Hyperlinked,” “Fruit Ninja Frenzy Force” and “Kings of Atlantis.”
“With a diverse collection of fan-favorite YouTube originals now available to stream for free, we are continuing to promote safety while offering our users of all ages entertainment across the globe,” said Susanne Daniels, YouTube’s global head of original content.
Here’s the full list of YouTube originals currently free to watch:
- “Escape the Night”: Host Joey Graceffa ventures into purgatory to rescue his friends, a revolving cast of YouTube. Created by Graceffa and produced by Brian Graden Media.
- “Matpat’s Game Lab”: In the reality series and 360-degree VR experience, Matthew Patrick (better known on YouTube as MatPat) explores the real-life science behind popular video games.
- “Step Up: High Water”: Dance drama from Lionsgate, based on the movie franchise, stars Naya Rivera (“Glee”) and Faizon Love (“Couples Retreat,” “Elf”).
- “Impulse”: Supernatural thriller from Universal Content Productions, Doug Liman’s Hypnotic and showrunner and executive producer Lauren LeFranc stars Maddie Hasson as a rebellious small-town teenager who discovers she has the ability to teleport — which makes her the focus of those who want to control her.
- “Sherwood” (new episodes will be available weekly to stream for free): In this new animated spin on the Robin Hood legend, teen hacker Robin of Sherwood joins forces with a group of renegades to battle the elements of the flooded streets of 23rd century London to defeat the mad Sheriff of Nottingham.
- “Sideswiped”: Comedy from creator and star Carly Craig (“American Housewife,” “Hall Pass”) is about dating in the digital age — based on a true story. The series also stars Rosanna Arquette and Chelsea Frei.
- “The Sidemen Show”: The seven Sidemen brave experiences in destinations across the globe as they strive to conquer the elements. Produced by Blue Ant Digital Studios in association with Antenna Pictures.
- “Foursome”: Romantic comedy starring YouTuber Jenn “jennxpenn” McAllister, produced by AwesomenessTV.
- “Me and My Grandma”: Buddy comedy starring Eva Gutowski (aka MyLifeAsEva) and Rhea Perlman (“Cheers”).
- “F2 Finding Football”: Produced by Whistle, series follows soccer-skills specialists Billy Wingrove and Jeremy Lynch, the duo behind YouTube channel F2Freestylers.
- “Overthinking with Kat & June”: Comedy starring Tenea Intriago (“Law & Order: SVU”) and Alexia Dox (“Quick Draw”) from AwesomenessTV.
- “The Fake Show”: Comedy from popular Japanese YouTube creator Hajime Syacho in which his YouTube account is stolen by an impostor.
This is the next move in YouTube’s #StayHome #WithMe campaign, which has featured influencers creating PSAs to encouraging everyone to stay home during the pandemic.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews. Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.