Today Comcast announced the Xfinity Education Destination with thousands of resources for kids K-12 and more than 2,000 hours of free content, giving parents quick access to educational programming for children. This new feature is in direct response to COVID-19 as children are continuing their education at home now that schools have temporarily shut down.
“Today Xfinity is making thousands of hours of educational programming and resources available to our customers through Xfinity on Demand as we know how challenging it is for families right now who are suddenly homeschooling young children – many with both parents working, as well,” said Rebecca Heap, SVP of Video & Entertainment at Comcast. “The programming selected in partnership with Common Sense Media is available in one comprehensive destination organized by grade level to make it as easy as possible for parents to find what is most relevant to their family.”
Common Sense Media is Xfinity’s trusted source for age-based ratings integrated into all programming, including the Education Destination resource.
Xfinity customers with X1 or Flex can say “Education” or, if their voice search language is set to Spanish, “Educación,” into the Xfinity Voice Remote to access content available to them by grades “K-2,” “3-5,” “6-8,” and “9-12” and also “for all ages” currently including:
- Free programs from subscription video on demand services (SVODS) Bluprint, CuriosityStream, The Great Courses Signature Collection, Grokker Yoga Fitness, HISTORY® Vault, Kids Room and The Reading Corner.
- Additional free adult continuing education programming from these SVODS focused on the “Mind,” “Body,” and “Soul” spanning biographies; podcasts on a range of topics including technology and business; yoga; dance; food and cooking; fitness; wellness; ballets and operas; and gardening.
- Educational series from networks and streaming services including Animal Planet, HISTORY®, Nick Jr., PBS KIDS, Smithsonian Channel and more.
- Spanish language programming available from networks including CBeebies, Discovery Familia and Kids Central.
- Firsthand interviews and historical narratives from Voices of the Civil Rights Movement, Comcast’s signature commemorative programming initiative honoring the impact and legacy of the movement.
Comcast has enlisted Natascha Crandall, Ph.D., a psychologist and educator to curate the content of Education Destination in English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies to ensure it aligns with current US school curriculum and for each age group.
“When schools close and other community places people congregate are off limits, it can feel overwhelming for families with kids, so we’ve partnered with Xfinity to curate a list of educational recommendations to help kids learn and keep them engaged during their time indoors,” said Ellen Pack, President of Common Sense.
Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.