Earlier this year, Walmart announced plans to close 19 stores in total. Now most of them have closed or will very soon close. Walmart has recently become a major player in cord cutting with its streaming players and deals to get free Paramount+, ad-free Pluto TV, and more.
Now Walmart seems to be focusing on profitable stores and online sales. This comes as Walmart hopes to drive more customers online and away from unprofitable stores.
“The simplest explanation is that collectively our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago – these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years. The remaining four Chicago stores continue to face the same business difficulties, but we think this decision gives us the best chance to help keep them open and serving the community.” Walmart said in a statement.
Walmart says they will help move staff from these locations to other stores. Any staff who does not accept a new position at other stores will receive severance benefits.
Here are the 19 stores Walmart has already closed this year:
- #5781 Chatham Supercenter, the Walmart Health center, and the Walmart Academy, 8431 S. Stewart Ave.
- #3166 Kenwood Neighborhood Market, 4720 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
- #5645 Lakeview Neighborhood Market, 2844 N. Broadway St.
- #5646 Little Village Neighborhood Market, 2551 W. Cermak Road
- 3701 SE Dodson Road, Bentonville (Pick-up only concept)
- 99 H Street NW, Washington
- 1801 Howell Mill Rd NW, Atlanta
- 835 M.L.K. Jr Dr NW, Atlanta
- 6900 US Highway 19 North, Pinellas Park (Neighborhood Market concept)
- 1032 Fort Street Mall, Honolulu
- 17550 South Halsted St, Homewood
- 2690 S. Route 59, Plainfield
- 840 N. McCormick Blvd, Lincolnwood (Pick-up only concept)
- 3701 Portage Road, South Bend
- 1200 Shingle Creek Pkwy, Brooklyn Center
- New Mexico
- 301 San Mateo Blvd. SE, Albuquerque
- 4200 82nd Ave. SE, Portland
- 1123 N Hayden Meadows Dr., Portland
- 24919 Westheimer Pkwy, Katy (Neighborhood Market concept)
- 11400 Hwy. 99, Everett
- 10330 W. Silver Spring Dr, Milwaukee