Univision, the leader in Spanish language content, announced it will be launching its very own streaming service. The platform will have both free, ad-supported, and premium subscription tiers containing more Spanish-language originals than any other streaming service. The service is set to launch in the U.S. and Latin America in 2022.
Univision’s current free Spanish-language streaming service, PrendeTV will power the ad-supported tier of the new streamer with upgraded, broadcast-quality content including select originals, major studio films, premium Spanish-language titles, an expanded live sports offering and a unique 24/7 news service with content also on-demand, totaling more than 40,000 hours of entertainment.
The premium subscription tier will feature more than 6,000 hours of Spanish-language content and more than 30 original productions exclusively on the service within its first year with a mission to provide more Spanish-language content than any other streaming service globally.
The SVOD tier will launch with more than 30 original productions throughout 2022, featuring globally recognized and award-winning producers, creators and writers, including:
- Maria Dueñas: Bestselling author of “El tiempo entre costuras” (The Time in Between) and “La templanza” (The Vineyard) whose television streaming adaptations have found critical and international acclaim, has signed a first-look deal with Univision for her future content and novels and will develop her first-ever series exclusively for Univision’s SVOD streaming service.
- Mario Vargas Llosa: Internationally acclaimed Peruvian author and Nobel Prize winner Vargas Llosa will have his 2006 novel “Travesuras de la niña mala” (The Bad Girl) adapted into a television series, which will be executive produced by Patricio Wills from Televisa’s W Studios. The novel is an epic love story set in the 1960s across various cities in Europe.
- Santiago Limon: Creator and co-writer of the hit comedy film “Hasta que la boda nos separe” and director and executive producer of the highly anticipated reboot of “Rebelde,” as well as director of the renowned television series “La búsqueda” (The Search) and director for some episodes of “Casa de las flores” (House of Flowers), Limon, together with Ben Silverman, executive producer of “Jane The Virgin” and “Ugly Betty,” from Propagate, will bring “Pinches Momias” an action, horror and comedy series in which Guanajuato’s renowned mummies come back from the dead during the busiest week of the year, and a group of troubled teenagers become the town’s only hope to survive.
- “Mujer del Diablo”: An original series created by Leonardo Padron, who was the writer of “Amar a Muerte”, “Rubi” and “Si Nos Dejan,” some of Univision and Televisa’s most popular primetime series.
- “No Llegaron Solos”: Univision has inked a development deal with Caracol Televisión, 360 Powwow and Isla Audiovisual for this historical series. “No Llegaron Solos” is an intense, epic story reviving the conquest of the Americas and depicting the amazing journey of legendary Catalina de Erauso, one of the most rebellious women of all time. The series portrays the adventures of the three women who came with the Spanish conquistadors to settle in Latin America; among them, Erauso, the Spanish runaway novice who disguised herself as a man, rising to the rank of lieutenant in the colonial army in South America.