Did you know some credit cards offer rewards that can be used for discounts for streaming services? LendingTree took a look at some of the offers from over 200 credit cards and found 32 offered some type of streaming rewards.
As stated in the report, the rewards are not completely “straightforward” and mostly apply to “power streamers” who use multiple services for streaming video and music. Additional factors can affect eligibility, and earning caps, caveats, and exclusionary limits determine how lucrative the cards mentioned below are likely to be for cardholders.
According to LendingTree, earning 1 percent to 6 percent on streaming spending nets rewards ranging from $6.50 to $39. Now, if you have multiple streaming subscriptions and a card that offers 6 percent back on spending towards these platforms, you could get around $124 cash back annually.
The top credit cards LendingTree recommends for streaming rewards are:
- The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express offers 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more), 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- BMO Harris Bank Cash Back Mastercard: Earn 5% cash back on streaming, cable TV, and satellite services; 3% cash back on gas and grocery purchases, up to $2,500 in gas and grocery purchases each calendar quarter; and 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases. These streaming services include but aren’t limited to Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu, Apple Music, CBS All Access, Disney+, AT&T TV NOW, ESPN+, HBO Max, Pandora, Showtime, Sling TV, Spotify, Starz, SiriusXM, Vudu, YouTube TV, and Tidal.
- Citi Custom Cash Card: Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter. Also, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases. Most cardholders, though, won’t have streaming purchases as their top eligible spend category.
- U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card: Earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible purchases each quarter on two categories you choose. 5% cash back on prepaid air, hotel, and car reservations booked directly in the Rewards Center. 2% cash back on one everyday category, like Gas Stations/EV Charging Stations, Grocery Stores, or Restaurants. 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
- Three Discover cards could potentially offer 5% back on streaming services by including it as one of its featured categories for a quarter. That was last done in the first quarter of 2023. Of note, though, you have to enroll to earn the 5% cash back in the quarterly rotating categories. After the quarterly maximum of $1,500 in spending, you earn 1% cash back in the category.
- The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card lets you earn unlimited 4% cash back on popular streaming services, so not every service is included.