The Nvidia Shield, may be the most popular of the Android TV models, is getting a huge update today with Marshmallow.
Some of the big changes you will find are in the Google Play store, which now brings apps made for Android TV front and center for Shield owners. You also get more control over the home screen and the layout of favorites and apps.
External storage using an SSD or flash thumb stick now work just like internal storage to help expand your available storage space.
More new features and fixes in this update include the following:
- The Shield Controller will now wirelessly work when charging via USB allowing you to game and voice search as the remote charges.
- Ability to down access the power menu by holding the Back button on the home screen.
- Switch between surround sound and the headset audio in Netflix without stopping your stream.
- Ability to set Ultra HD TVs down to 1080p 60Hz if you want that option.
- RGB Full Range Settings can now be found in Settings | HDMI | Dynamic Range.
- Those with Denon audio receivers will find improved support.
- New Vulkan API for high-efficiency access to the graphics hardware for developers.
Overall the Marshmallow update for the Nvidia Shield is a huge step forward in both user experience and performance. If you have been thinking about getting the Shield, you really should give it a second look after this update.
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.