Do you love live theater? STAGE wants to be your go-to service for all things Theatre. Launching this summer Stage will offer a wide range of theater-related programming from recorded performances to documentaries about theatre it will all be there.
The service was first announced back in April of 2018 but starting today you will be able to start testing out a selection of their original programming as well as live theatre, documentaries, films and more.
“In the theatre world, years of work takes place before a show enters ‘previews,’ a short-period of time before its official opening night, when fans and critics are given a sneak-peak and final details are ironed out,” said Rich Affannato, chairman, CEO and co-founder of STAGE. “Our entire team could not be more excited to share our big show – STAGE! – with theatre fans and those who are theatre-curious. We’re offering a comprehensive list of viewing options to provide a taste of what’s to come in October when we release more of our robust catalog of programming to our subscription-based users.”
A selection of titles that will be available on August 20 includes:
- The pilot episode of STAGE original “Crossovers,” a half-hour talk show, taped in front of a live studio audience, featuring a one-on-one interview with a performer who has crossed over from theatre to another media (or vice versa). In this episode, host Taye Diggs sits down with actress Leslie Uggams, and discusses her stage, television and film career in the first part of this two-episode interview.
- The first episode of “The Divorce,” an Australian comedy opera miniseries never-before-available in the United States, and “Waaay Off Broadway,” a scripted comedy proving whether an original play can be put on in just 48 hours.
- Documentaries including “Broadway Idiot,” following Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong from a punk rock concert at Madison Square Garden to the opening of his Broadway musical, and “Theater of War,” shadowing actress Meryl Streep as she prepares to play Mother Courage in “Mother Courage and Her Children” in 2006 at The Public Theater/NY Shakespeare Festival in Central Park.
- Live theatre performances of “Hamlet” from its sell-out run at Manchester’s Royal Exchange Theatre, and “Swan Lake.”
- Feature films including “If I Were You,” starring Marcia Gay Harden, and “Revival!, The Experience,” starring ten-time Grammy winner Chaka Khan, Grammy winner Michelle Williams, and gospel star Bishop William Murphy III. “False Confessions” and “Measure for Measure,” films produced after a successful on-stage run, will also be available in full-length form.
- Four webisodes of “On the Patio” shot exclusively for STAGE, featuring Mickey Mouse Club alum Lindsey Alley and her mom Marcia, chatting about anything and everything about theatre on the patio.
- Extended previews of upcoming STAGE original series’ “Thursday in the Park” and “Studio Sessions.”
- Trailers and sneak-peek previews of scripted series, documentary, feature film and live theater content that will be available in October.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!