A few weeks ago SimpleTV announced that it is shutting down and all SimpleTV DVRs would stop working.
Now SiliconDust, the company behind the HDHomeRun, is offering to convert old SimpleTV DVRs into HDHomeRuns. This will allow SimpleTV Gen2 owners to still use their SimpleTV device but with some changes for just $30; however, you may be missing some of the functionality you previously had.
Here is what SimpleTV owners need to know:
- USB will be removed.
• HDHomeRun does not currently support remote access streaming.
• HDHomeRun does not currently support Roku or Chromecast compatibility.
• You will need to download the Free HDHomeRun Live TV app from your preferred device store.
• HDHomeRun DVR service is available for an annual subscription.
• HDHomeRun products also work with PLEX or KODI as an alternative.
SiliconDust says it can turn around the device in about five business days after it receives your device.
Now the DVR is a little different and is not free like it was with the SimpleTV. You will need to have some type of media server running whether a PC or an Android media box such as the Nvidia Shield. The HDHomeRun does not record the shows but rather sends the feed from your antenna to a connected device to be recorded there.
So if you have a SimpleTV that you want to keep using this is likely the least expensive way to do that. You can learn more about this over on the SiliconDust website HERE.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.