I recently got my hands on the new 2017 Roku Ultra and decided to do a little unboxing and a head to head with the older 2016 Roku Ultra. The main question I wanted to answer is would it be worth upgrading.
For our full review please watch this YouTube Video:
Here are the details of the Roku Ultra 2016:
- Perfect for HD and 4K Ultra HD TVs, features fast quad-core processor and 802.11ac dual-band wireless.
- Exceptionally brilliant picture quality. 4K Ultra HD at 60fps with four times the resolution of 1080p HD.
- Vibrant HDR displaying an incredible range of colors, brighter whites, and deeper blacks.
- Fully loaded with digital audio output, convenient point anywhere remote with voice search and remote finder, headphones for private listening, and gaming controls.
- Dolby Audio over HDMI and optical
Here are the details of the Roku Ultra 2017:
- 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless
- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet
- 4K UHD HDR TVs – Supports HDR10 technology
- Power, HDMI 2.0a, Ethernet 10/100, microSD, USB
- Audio features
- DTS Digital Surround™ pass through over HDMI®
- Night listening mode
- microSD card slot for additional channel storage
- USB port for local playback
- Voice remote with TV power and volume buttons as well as voice search, headphone jack, and gaming buttons
- Speaker for lost remote finder alerts
- Player includes IR receiver, compatible with various universal remotes
After testing out the 2017 Roku Ultra would highly recommend upgrading. There is a noticeable speed improvement that makes the 2017 Roku Ultra well worth the price. Add in the new remote to control your TV and the Roku Ultra 2017 is a great buy for cord cutters.
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.