With this update, Roku will add the ability to control your Roku with Google Assistant devices and adds support for new music programs like Spotify and Pandora Premium.
“As we broaden the Roku ecosystem allowing consumers to add new devices to their Home Entertainment Networks, we are in a unique position that is unlike any other TV streaming platform,” said Ilya Asnis, senior vice president of Roku OS at Roku. “Our single operating system running across Roku TVs and Roku TV Wireless Speakers give us the ability to innovate how consumers experience audio and entertainment in their homes.”
Some of the highlights include the ability to automatically level the volume of your streams on select Roku streaming players and select Roku TVs whether paired or not to Roku TV Wireless Speakers.
NEW FEATURES Across the ROKU PLATFOrM
- Google Assistant – Soon, you’ll be able to use Google Assistant devices to control select Roku streaming devices to pause and search for content and launch channels. Additionally, Roku TV owners can turn their TV on and off, turn up the volume, mute, switch inputs and change channels if there is an OTA antenna connected.
- Pandora Premium support – With Pandora Premium, listeners can search and play any song, album, or featured playlist, with the option to create their own, and access personalized soundtracks based on changing moods. Available now via the Pandora channel in the Roku Channel Store.
Roku OS 8.2 for roku tvs and ROKU TV WIRELESS SPEAKERS
- Access and control iHeartRadio, Pandora, and TuneIn by voice – Launch live radio stations from across the country, podcasts, custom artist stations, and more with iHeartRadio; Playlists, podcasts, stations and more via Pandora; and live radio stations, play-by-play sports, and news with TuneIn. Use simple voice commands using Roku voice remotes, Roku Touch, or the Roku mobile app. Subscriptions not required and premium features available with upgraded services.
- Automatic Volume Leveling – Automatic Volume Leveling enables a uniform audio level across various types of content, so it will no longer feel jarring when a commercial comes on or when streaming channels are changed. Night mode lowers the volume level for louder scenes and boosts it for quieter ones. The volume mode setting will be accessible by pressing the star button during video playback when Roku TV Wireless Speakers are connected to a Roku TV.
- Speech Clarity – This feature looks for voice frequencies and boosts them to address intelligibility. Speech Clarity will be available via the star menu when Roku TV Wireless Speakers are connected to a Roku TV.
- Spotify – Spotify is the world’s most popular music streaming service. Discover, manage, and share over 35M songs for free, or upgrade to Spotify Premium to access exclusive features including offline mode, improved sound quality, Spotify Connect, and ad-free listening. Roku customers will be able to launch and navigate the channel using a Roku remote or via Spotify Connect on a laptop, tablet, or mobile phone.
Roku says Roku 8.2 will continue to roll out to Roku TVs and Roku OS 9 will hit Roku TVs in early 2019.
Roku also announced new streaming players today. You can learn more about the new Roku streaming players HERE.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!