Cord cutting is a great way to save money and get more content; however, now that you cut the cord on overpriced pay-TV services how can you save even more money? Thankfully you do have many ways to save money even after you ditch cable TV.
So here are a few tips that along with cord cutting helped my family save over $2,000 a year.
#1 Ditch Your Cell Phone Company
I recently left Verizon after being a member since they became a wireless company in 2000. I even had their unlimited data plan, but the $170+ a month bill for my family was just too much to justify. After switching, we are saving $720 a year!
#2 Ditch Your Rented Modem
You may already know you are renting your modem for about $10 a month, or $120 a year, but you may not know there is an additional hidden fee… So not only are you renting that modem but many states tax such rentals. In Texas you would see an additional $2 a month tax on the modem you are renting.
So what can you do to avoid this $12 a month/$144 a year fee? You can buy your modem and stop paying that fee today. If you rented a modem for three years you would have paid $432 for something that likely costs the cable company less than $50.
Many modems start at around $50 for a basic modem, and modems with built-in Wi-Fi go for about $100. By buying a modem you can quickly save money.
Need a modem? Here is a short list of great modems.
#3 Ditch Your Home Phone
On average a landline currently costs about $20 plus taxes every month. That is an extra $240 a year you are paying just for a phone line. You could ditch it and just use a cell phone but what if you really want a home phone?
We have good news. You can ditch the $20 a month bill and still keep your landline and even your phone number.
The Ooma Telo is a home phone service that will plug into your home Internet and allow you to keep your home phone number.
Ooma Tello offers many great services:
- PureVoice HD technology for clarity and reliability
- Integration with Amazon Echo and its voice-enabled smart assistant, Alexa
- Caller-ID, call-waiting, call return, 911, and 911 text alerts
- Online portal with call log, preferences, and contacts
- One-touch voicemail audio playback
- Remote voicemail retrieval and online playback
- Fax mode
- Live customer support
- Choose any available area code
- Ooma Mobile HD app for free outbound calling
- Everyday low rates on international calling
- Unlimited calling to over 60 countries with the Ooma World Plan
- Free Ooma-to-Ooma calling worldwide
The best part is they have a free option that only charges the local taxes.
If you want to learn more about how my family saves over $2,000 a year I have a full break down here.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.