Over the weekend in Canada, Fubo interrupted the Newcastle and Crystal Palace match to run a full-screen ad that prevented subscribers from watching the game. This led some to fear that this was a new type of ad Fubo would be running going forward.
Fubo has confirmed to Cord Cutters News that the ad that was played during the match was the result of an operator error. The live TV streaming service said it has addressed the issue internally to prevent it from happening again. This is likely a source of relief for Fubo viewers who were worried that the service would start running ads in the middle of shows and games around the world.
This all comes as Fubo has been working hard to improve its app with new features. This includes video player improvements and remote improvements.
Here is what Fubo announced about the new app that is rolling out now:
Hello, Fubo Users!
We continue to listen to your feedback and we’re working hard to address issues as quickly as possible. To that point, we released a new update to the Roku app, version 5.1. This update fixes many of the issues in the previous 5.0 release from a few weeks ago, It also includes some great performance improvements. As a reminder, not all Roku users have the new version of the app; we are still rolling it out slowly across our full user base.
Here’s what’s new in the Roku v5.1 app:
- You can return to the Previous Channel by press-and-holding the Back button on the remote.
- When you click the down arrow to browse channels while watching, the currently playing channel will be displayed first.
- Channels will load faster now, and there will be less re-buffering (ie, video pauses).
- We’ve improved some of the seeking functionality.
- You can now scroll between days (ie, past midnight) without the need to use the Browse by date button.
- You can use the FF/RW controls to page through the guide faster.
- When focused in the Channels column (far left column) these buttons will page up and down the guide.
- When focused on any Program cell, these buttons will page left and right on the timeline.
- The Back button on the remote control will jump you to the Channels column from any of the Program cells.
- The Replay button on the remote will now jump you back to the current time.
- The guide now automatically advances to the next day after midnight.
- We’ve also made a bunch of visual improvements to the guide.
- The app will load faster, and we made other performance improvements throughout the app.
- Some missing translations are now fixed for our Latino plan customers.