Looks like Netflix maybe giving peer-to-peer a second look. They recently posted a job listing asking for engineers that have peer-to-peer networking skills.
Peer-to-peer would allow Netflix to get around many of the limitations and throttling brought on by ISPs. As a customer streams a show they could upload the show to other Netflix customers watching the same show. Making a web of servers all over the world that in theory would be more stable.
This would be no minor task to implement but if they successfully work out the bugs peer-to-peer would be a game changer. Sadly just because Netflix is working on this dose not mean we will ever see it become a reality. Only time will tell if this will even make it into beta testing.
Bellow is a copy of the job posting.
Netflix seeks a seasoned Senior Software Engineer with a special focus in peer-to-peer networks. Ideal candidates will be well versed in *nix systems, TCP/IP networking – and be predisposed to preventative and automation-oriented engineering.
– Research and architecture of large scale peer to peer network technology as applicable to Netflix streaming.
– Liaise with internal client and toolkit teams to integrate P2P as an additional delivery mechanism.
– Design and develop tools for the operation of peer to peer enabled clients in a production environment.
Skills & Experience
The following qualifications are required:
– At least five years of relevant experience with development and testing of large scale peer to peer systems.
– Knowledge of standard Internet protocols (in practice and by RFC), especially TCP/IP, HTTP/S and DNS.
– Expert knowledge of *nix systems.
– Experience with source/revision-control systems (e.g., CVS, Subversion, Perforce, Git)
– Superb communication skills, both written and verbal.
– Flexibility and bandwidth to deal with a novel, dynamic and extremely fast-paced environment.
The following qualifications are preferred:
– BS in Computer Science, Network Engineering or Electrical Engineering (or equivalent professional experience).
– Knowledge of and proven experience with P2P, CDN/HTTP cache/proxy technology.