You may have seen that Netflix wants to crack down on password sharing and charge people who do it extra. Now Netflix has officially laid out what it will charge to share your password with someone. (If you live in select locations.)
The pricing to add someone to your Netflix account will range from $7.99 a month in Canada to 3.99 Euros in Portugal. (5.99 Euros next door in Spain.)
“So over the last year, we’ve been exploring different approaches to address this issue in Latin America, and we’re now ready to roll them out more broadly in the coming months, starting today in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain. Our focus has been on giving members greater control over who can access their account.” Netflix said in a statement on its website.
So, in short, you can share, but Netflix wants you to pay extra for it. One has to wonder if this will drive more to share Netflix passwords as it is now officially supported and maybe cheaper than paying for two accounts.
There is still no word on pricing for the US yet.
Here is what Netflix wants you to know about the new password-sharing rules:
- Set primary location: We’ll help members set this up, ensuring that anyone who lives in their household can use their Netflix account.
- Manage account access and devices: Members can now easily manage who has access to their account from our new Manage Access and Devices page.
- Transfer profile: People using an account can now easily transfer a profile to a new account, which they pay for — keeping their personalized recommendations, viewing history, My List, saved games and more.
- Watch while you travel: Members can still easily watch Netflix on their personal devices or log into a new TV, like at a hotel or holiday rental.
- Buy an extra member: Members on our Standard or Premium plan in many countries (including Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain) can add an extra member sub account for up to two people they don’t live with — each with a profile, personalized recommendations, login and password — for an extra CAD$7.99 a month per person in Canada, NZD$7.99 in New Zealand, Euro 3.99 in Portugal, and Euro 5.99 in Spain.