Today, Monumental Sports & Entertainment announced that it will officially rebrand of its sports network, NBC Sports Washington, as Monumental Sports Network. This comes as Monumental Sports & Entertainment bought NBC Sports Washington from Comcast last year.
The rebranding of the network will take effect this September. T Monumental will launch a brand campaign this summer to inform fans of this transition, ahead of the 2023-24 NBA and NHL regular seasons.
“When we acquired NBC Sports Washington, we committed to building the best local sports network for our fans. Today’s announcement is the first of many which reflect significant investments that we are making back into our media platform that will greatly upgrade the everyday experience for D.C. sports fans and our various partners,” shared Zach Leonsis, President of Media & New Enterprises, Monumental Sports & Entertainment. “We’re incredibly excited to debut the many enhancements that we’ve developed over the course of this past year and believe that fans will genuinely appreciate the thoughtful approach that we’re taking to bring them closer to the teams and athletes that they love and admire.”
“This brand personality conveys key pillars for our network: confidence, authenticity, iconicity, inclusiveness, and innovation” said Friday Abernethy, General Manager of Monumental Sports Network. “And we expect that the way we are programing the network, making investments in technology and the new production studio, and designing a seamless fan/user experience will set the trend for the entire industry.”
With this move there will also be some new original programming:
- Rachel Nichols Project: A new interview format series will feature award-winning journalist and sportscaster Rachel Nichols. Rachel will be telling the stories of her hometown’s top sports talent and celebrities.
- By the Book: In conjunction with Caesars Sportsbook, Monumental will re-launch the network’s marquee sports betting series for a third season. Highlights will include a new studio and cutting-edge graphics.
- Untitled Capitals Magazine: A new weekly series will highlight the best behind-the-scenes, off-ice stories with players, staff, and other Capitals fanatics stories, hosted by network presenter Alexa Landestoy.
- Untitled Wizards Magazine: A new weekly series will feature the best behind-the-scenes, off-court stories with players, staff and other Wizards fanatics stories, hosted by network presenter Wes Hall.
- Untitled Top 10 Series: Program will count down the greatest moments in Capitals and Wizards history in this new format series; episodes may include greatest goals, buzzer beaters, dunks, and comebacks.
- Classic Capitals and Wizards games: Fans will be able to relive classic Capitals and Wizards games and anniversaries tied to major rivalries and marquee matchups during the 2023-24 seasons.
- Other specials and limited series in development: Fans will gain behind-the-scenes access to Monumental’s sports teams’ players and coaches, there will be new studio specials celebrating important moments throughout the season, podcasts diving deeper into stories both on and off the court/ice, and new limited series focusing on fashion and the NBA.
- Fans can anticipate at least 100 games where there will be alternate feeds across both the Wizards and Capitals’ regular season games each year.
- Alternate feeds will be available on the network’s soon-to-be launched digital platform during game times when the Capitals and Wizards aren’t playing at the same time.
- Alternate feeds will feature rotating on-air talent including former players, team personnel, local media personalities, and more – but in a more casual, conversational setting while analyzing the game.
- Alternate feeds will also feature advanced data analytics and other data visualizations to enhance the on-screen experience.
- The network will pursue the production of alternate feeds upon opening its new state-of-the-art studio experience later in the 2023-24 NBA and NHL regular seasons.