NBCUniversal has announced that they have promoted Valari Dobson Stabb to be the chairman of NBCUniversal Local Division, which includes the NBC Regional Sports Networks, and there are plans to launch a direct-to-consumer streaming service.
“Valari is an outstanding, innovative leader with a proven track record of success,” said Lazarus. “She has transformed our local business and is a valuable part of the NBCU management team.”
Not only will Stabb oversee NBC RSNs, but she will handle NBC-owned and operated local stations, the Telemundo-owned stations, as the company focuses on their streaming options. Earlier this year, the network launched local news channels from NBC-owned stations on Peacock.
The Hollywood Reporter’s Alex Weprin shared the news of the direct-to-consumer plans first on Twitter.
Seven RSNs make up NBC RSNs with rights to the following 5 MLB teams, 6 NBA teams, and 3 NHL teams:
- NBC Sports Bay Area: San Francisco Giants (MLB) and Golden State Warriors (NBA)
- NBC Sports Boston: Boston Celtics (NBA)
- NBC Sports California: Oakland Athletics (MLB), Sacramento Kings (NBA), and San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- NBC Sports Chicago: Chicago White Sox (MLB), Chicago Blackhawks (NHL), and Chicago Bulls (NBA)
- NBC Sports Philadelphia: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB), Philadelphia 76ers (NBA), and Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
- NBC Sports Washington: Washington Capitals (NHL), and Washington Wizards (NBA)
- SportsNet New York: New York Mets (MLB)
NCAA and NFL teams are featured on a few of the NBC RSNs, but outside of the preseason, most NFL games air on national broadcasts.
NBCU has not announced any more details in regards to how much a subscription to their DTC service will be, or the exact launch date but the plan is to launch sometime later this year.
Recently, Bally Sports secured the digital rights to 16 NBA for their DTC streaming service, which came a month after they secured the same rights for 12 NHL teams. If industry predictions ring true, the Bally Sports DTC app will cost around $23 per month, which could give sports fans an idea of the cost for the NBC RSN DTC app.