The National Hockey League’s future stars will be selected in tonight’s NHL Entry Draft. The annual event allows each franchise to select the rights to some of the best hockey prospects in the world and a chance to one day win the elusive Stanley Cup.
Like last year’s event, the 2021 NHL Draft will be held virtually with Commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the selections in the first round and deputy commissioner Bill Daly announcing rounds 2-7 from the NHL Network studios in Secaucus, New Jersey. Since the 2020-21 season ended later than usual, this year’s draft will be held a month later than it is traditionally.
In another change to this year’s draft, the NHL has welcomed a new team, Seattle Kraken, making it the first time the league has had 32 teams. The NHL is the second major North American professional sports league with 32 teams following the NFL, which reached that feat in 2002.
The Kraken are having a busy week, as the franchise just completed their expansion draft on July 21. They will have the second overall pick tonight, which is the pick they won in the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery. The Buffalo Sabres ended up winning the lottery and will have the top overall pick tonight. There will be more than 220 players drafted over the course of two days through 7 rounds with the reigning and defending back-to-back Stanley Cup champions Tampa Bay Lightning concluding the draft with the 224th overall pick.
Round 1 Draft Order
- Buffalo Sabres
- Seattle Kraken
- Anaheim Ducks
- New Jersey Devils
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Detroit Red Wings
- San Jose Sharks
- Los Angeles Kings
- Vancouver Canucks
- Ottawa Senators
- Forfeited pick (Arizona Coyotes forfeited due to sanctions)
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Calgary Flames
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Dallas Stars
- New York Rangers
- St. Louis Blues
- Winnipeg Jets
- Nashville Predators
- Edmonton Oilers
- Boston Bruins
- Minnesota Wild
- Detroit Red Wings (from WSH)
- Florida Panthers
- Columbus Blue Jackets (from TOR)
- Minnesota Wild (from PIT)
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Colorado Avalanche
- New Jersey Devils (from NYI)
- Vegas Golden Knights
- Montreal Canadiens
- Columbus Blue Jackets (from TBL)
Since the draft will be held virtually, spectators will not be in attendance; however, cord cutters can find out how to watch every selection of the 2021 NHL Draft below.
When is the 2021 NHL Draft
Round 1 of the 2021 NHL Draft will begin tonight at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN 2.
Rounds 2-7 will take place Saturday, July 24, beginning at 11 a.m. ET on NHL Network.
Where to watch the 2021 NHL Draft Without Cable
- Vidgo includes ESPN2 and 95 other channels for $55/month.
- fuboTV has ESPN2 covered with the fuboTV Family plan for $65/month. NHL Network is available for an additional $11 per month.
- Hulu with Live carries ESPN2 for $65/month.
- AT&T TV includes ESPN2 and NHL Network in its Ultimate package for $95/month.
- YouTube TV includes ESPN2 with a $65/month subscription
- Sling TV includes ESPN2 in their Sling Orange package for $35/month. NHL Network is also available to add-on for $11/month.