With movie theaters opening back up across the country, Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda’s In the Heights is expected to draw audiences back to the silver screen. The film was postponed from its 2020 release date due to the pandemic which has created growing anticipation for the film’s release. Directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians), In the Heights is a film adaptation of Miranda’s four-time Tony Award-winning 2005 musical stage play of the same name. Currently, the film has received acclaim from critics with a 96% score and a Certified Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Combined with the positive reviews, the film will be looking to become a box office hit on its $55 million budget. The fan interest is high, as Fandango surveyed over 1,300 moviegoers that were planning to see the film. This will mark the first trip back to theaters since the pandemic started for 96% of those surveyed. Plus, 73% of those surveyed want to watch the film on the largest screen with immersive sound in a premium experience (IMAX, Dolby Cinema, Premium Large Formats, and etc.).
“’ In the Heights’ is a cinematic celebration of the highest order and meant to be seen on the largest screen possible,” says Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis. “It is the perfect summer movie, filled with joyous music, vibrant dance scenes and heart lifting performances from a dynamic ensemble cast. Director Jon M. Chu has truly made Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical masterpiece larger than life.”
Like the musical, the film’s plot follows New York City bodega owner Usnavi de la Vega (Anthony Ramos), who saves every little cent from his job in order to one day have a life filled with everything he has ever dreamed of. Ramos will be joined by Hamilton creator and co-star Lin-Manuel Miranda. Corey Hawkins, Leslie Grace, Melissa Barrera, Olga Merediz, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Gregory Diaz IV, and Jimmy Smits round out the top-billed cast.
With so much buzz for the musical, moviegoers and cord cutters can find out how to watch In the Heights below.
When to watch In the Heights
In the Heights is set to be released on Thursday, June 10 in theaters nationwide and on HBO Max .
Where to watch In the Heights
Not only will the film be released in theaters in standard and premium formats but cord cutters can watch In the Heights from the comfort of their own home for 30-days with HBO Max Ad-Free for $14.99 per month, or prepay $149.99 per year and save 16%.
Other survey takeaways
The film is the top-ticket seller on Fandango for this weekend. Below is more data from the Fandango survey that gives further insight into why moviegoers are planning to watch and their thoughts on the cultural aspects.
Based on Fandango’s survey of moviegoers planning to see In the Heights:
- 97% said they are looking forward to seeing an upbeat film that celebrates culture and community
- 95% are looking forward to a feel-good movie and escapism at the movie theater
- 94% are excited to see a fresh ensemble cast of young rising stars
- 91% are fans of “In the Heights” and “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda
- 90% have seen the director Jon M. Chu’s last movie, “Crazy Rich Asians”
- 87% are excited about the film’s mix of music styles including Hip-Hop, Latin, R&B, and Pop
- 63% are looking forward to the film’s numerous dance numbers
- 57% are looking forward to the film’s colorful palette (costumes, sets, cinematography)
When the survey participants were asked about the cultural aspects of In the Heights:
- 92% said they hope that the film will bring more awareness to Dominican and Latinx culture, and that it might increase Latinx representation on the big screen
- 86% are excited to see an NYC neighborhood that’s rarely the focus of a big-screen movie
- 84% wish Hollywood had more Latinx representation on the big screen
In the Heights will be in theaters everywhere and HBO Max on Thursday, June 10.