Hulu + Live TV is a streaming service that enables customers to stream more than 85 live channels, as well as a huge library of on-demand content. One of the best ways to watch the service, also known as Hulu + Live TV , is through streaming media players like Roku, which are easy to connect to users’ TV sets.
The Hulu + Live TV service provides a choice of popular entertainment, lifestyle, music, and news, and sports channels. Subscribers can also add premium channels like Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, and STARZ to their accounts. They also get access to Hulu’s on-demand library of movies and TV shows. Hulu + Live TV begins at $69.99/mo. for its regular plan, but it also offers an option that removes commercials from its on-demand content for $82.99/mo.
Roku is a range of devices that allow users to download apps for their favorite channels and streaming services. These apps can be used to stream live TV and on-demand content directly on users’ TVs, which means they no longer have to watch shows and movies on their laptop or mobile phone. The latest Roku devices are all compatible with Hulu + Live TV’s app. These include set-top boxes Roku Express and Express+ and Roku Premiere and Premiere+, the Roku Streaming Stick+, as well as media hub devices Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku TV, Roku Ultra, and Roku Ultra LT.
This article will explore how to watch Hulu on Roku and the best way to subscribe to and start streaming Hulu’s Roku content.
How to get Hulu + Live TV on Roku
To stream Hulu + Live TV on Roku, users first need to sign up for Hulu + Live TV and purchase a Roku device that supports the Hulu + Live TV app and ensure the device has the latest software and operating system downloaded. The Roku device needs to be plugged into a TV set and connected to the internet.
Follow this five-step process to get Hulu + Live TV streaming on a Roku device:
- The first step to streaming Hulu + Live TV on a Roku device is to create an account with Hulu. To do that, visit the Hulu website from a web browser and select the Start Your Free Trial button in the middle of the page. On the next page, choose the Select button underneath the Hulu + Live TV option, then complete the sign-up form by providing details like a name, password, birth date, ZIP code, and gender, and select Continue. Provide billing details, which can either be a credit card or a PayPal account, and select the Submit button to complete the sign-up process.
- Turn on the Roku device and the TV set by pressing the Home button on the Roku device’s remote control.
- The Roku device will open up on its home screen. Use the remote control to scroll down to the Search tab and type in “Hulu + Live TV.” The app will appear and can be selected by pressing the OK button on the remote control. Use the same button to select Add Channel. Hulu + Live TV can also be added to a Roku device by using the remote control to scroll to the Streaming Channels option on the Roku home screen. From there, open up the Movies & TV tab, scroll down to Hulu + Live TV, and select Add Channel.
- The Hulu + Live TV will start downloading and, when complete, will appear on the Roku home screen. Use the Roku remote control to navigate to the app and open it by pressing the remote’s OK button.
- The app will open up with a login screen, which can be completed using the Hulu + Live TV account credentials created in Step 1. The sign-up process will now be complete, and the user can start streaming Hulu on Roku.
Can you watch Hulu + Live TV on older Roku models?
Hulu + Live TV subscribers can watch the service on all new Roku devices. But older Roku models will either need to be updated or won’t be compatible.
Roku models that the company no longer supports and can’t be updated to the latest Roku operating system aren’t compatible with Hulu + Live TV. These models are:
- Roku 1 and Roku SE (2710X)
- Roku 2 (2720X)
- Roku 2 HD (3000X)
- Roku 2 XD (3050X)
- Roku 2 XS (3100X)
- Roku DVP (N1000)
- Roku HD (N1100)
- Roku HD-XR (N1101)
- Roku HD (2000C and 2500X)
- Roku LT (2400X, 2450X, and 2700X)
- Roku SD (N1050)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3400X and 3420X)
- Roku XD (2050X, 2050N, 2100N, and 2100X)
Other older Roku models that are no longer manufactured by Roku can still be updated to the latest Roku operating system. Those devices are:
- Roku 2 (4210X)
- Roku 3 (4200X and 4230X)
- Roku 4 (4400X)
- Roku Express (3700X and 3900X)
- Roku Express+ (3710X and 3910X)
- Roku Premiere (4620X)
- Roku Premiere+ (4630X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3500X, 3600X, and 3800X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3500X)
- Roku TV (5000X)
- Roku TV 4K (7000X)
- Roku Ultra (4640X and 4660X)
- Roku Ultra (4660X)
Hulu + Live TV Supported Devices
Hulu + Live TV is available to watch through web browsers for laptops and PCs and any device that enables users to download its app. Supported devices include:
- Amazon Echo and Echo Show devices
- Amazon Fire TV streaming devices
- Android mobile phones and tablets 5.0 or later
- Android TV
- Apple iOS mobile devices 12 or later
- Apple TV 4th generation or later streaming devices
- Google Chrome OS
- Google Chromecast
- HiSense, Samsung Smart, Sony Bravia, and Vizio SmartCast smart TVs
- MacOS X 10.9 or above
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Nvidia Shield streaming device
- Nintendo Switch gaming console
- Roku streaming devices
- Web browsers for computers and laptops
- Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series S gaming consoles
- Xiaomi Mi Box
How to download Hulu + Live TV content on Roku
It’s not possible to download Hulu + Live TV content onto a Roku streaming device. However, the Hulu service comes with unlimited hours of cloud digital video recorder (DVR) storage space for users to record live TV onto.
Most live streaming services don’t allow users to download content. But popular streaming services like Paramount+, Hulu, and STARZ do enable customers to download movies and TV shows to watch offline.
The final cut
Hulu + Live TV is one of the best all-round live streaming services available, offering users access to popular entertainment channels, around the clock news, and live sports. The service recently increased the price of its standard service by $10/mo. to $69.99/mo. and has a wide range of add-ons and premium channels available for users to customize their viewing options.