Fubo is a streaming service that provides more than 140 live channels covering entertainment, lifestyle, music, news, and sports. The service is available to watch on streaming media players like Roku, which enables customers to watch Fubo on their TV set using an HDMI connection.
Fubo’s base plan, the Pro Plan, starts at $74.99/mo., the Elite plan costs $84.99, and its Premier package, which comes with more than 230 channels, costs $94.99/mo. It also has add-ons and premium channels available for customers to add to their subscription.
Fubo started out as a dedicated sports streaming service. That focus remains with ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports Network, NFL Network, regional sports networks from FOX and NBC, and several college sports networks all included in its standard channel lineup. fuboTV also provides customers with access to local channels ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, as well as popular channels like A&E, Bravo, Discovery, Hallmark, History, MTV, Paramount Network, and VH1.
Roku is a range of streaming devices that users can plug into their TV to watch thousands of streaming channels and services, such as fuboTV. All current and newly released Roku devices enable users to download and stream the Fubo app. This includes Roku Express and Express+, Roku Premiere and Premiere+, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku TV, Roku Ultra, and Roku Ultra LT.
This article will explore Fubo’s Roku viewing options and advise how to get fuboTV streaming on Roku devices.
How to get Fubo on Roku
To start streaming Fubo on Roku, users need to sign up for a Fubo account and purchase a Roku device that’s compatible with the service. The user also needs to register their Roku device, set it up and ensure it’s updated with the latest software, connect it to the Internet, and plug it into their TV.
The following process details how to sign up for Fubo and start streaming it on a Roku device.
- To start streaming Sling TV on Roku, users first need to sign up for Fubo and create an account. To do this, visit the Fubo’s website from a web browser and select the orange Start Free Trial button. Create user credentials by providing an email address and creating a password or register using an Apple, Facebook, or Google account and select Go to next step. Select the preferred Fubo plan and Go to next step. Choose any of the desired add-on services or premium channels from the list, then select Go to next step. Complete the sign-up process by providing banking details and select Start watching Fubo.
- Turn on the Roku device and the TV by pushing the Home button on the Roku remote control.
- When the Roku device home screen opens, use the remote control to navigate to the Search tab and search for “Fubo.” The Fubo app will appear, select it by pressing the remote control’s OK button, then choose the Add Channel option. The app can also be added by navigating to the Streaming Channels tab from the Roku home page. From that menu, open the Movies & TV list and find Sling TV, then select Add Channel.
- The Fubo app will appear on the Roku home screen when it’s finished downloading. Use the remote control to navigate to the Fubo app and open it by pressing the OK button on the remote.
- Sign in to the Fubo app by using the Roku remote control to enter the user credentials created in Step 1. The service will log the user in, and they can then start streaming fuboTV on their Roku device.
Can you watch fuboTV on older Roku models?
All new Roku devices do support the Fubo app, but older Roku models will either need updating or won’t be compatible.
Fubo isn’t available on legacy Roku models that the company no longer supports and can’t be updated to the latest Roku operating system. These models are:
- Roku 1 and Roku SE (2710X)
- Roku 2 (2720X)
- Roku 2 HD (3000X)
- Roku 2 XD (3050X)
- Roku 2 XS (3100X)
- Roku DVP (N1000)
- Roku HD (N1100)
- Roku HD-XR (N1101)
- Roku HD (2000C and 2500X)
- Roku LT (2400X, 2450X, and 2700X)
- Roku SD (N1050)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3400X and 3420X)
- Roku XD (2050X, 2050N, 2100N, and 2100X)
Some older models are capable of updating to the latest Roku operating system, even though they’re no longer being manufactured by Roku. Those devices are:
- Roku 2 (4210X)
- Roku 3 (4200X and 4230X)
- Roku 4 (4400X)
- Roku Express (3700X and 3900X)
- Roku Express+ (3710X and 3910X)
- Roku Premiere (4620X)
- Roku Premiere+ (4630X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3500X, 3600X, and 3800X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (3500X)
- Roku TV (5000X)
- Roku TV 4K (7000X)
- Roku Ultra (4640X and 4660X)
- Roku Ultra (4660X)
Fubo Supported Devices
Fubo is available to watch on computers and laptops, as well as any device that supports its apps, such as mobile phones, smart TVs, and streaming media players. However, it’s worth noting that the Fubo service isn’t available on Nintendo, PlayStation, or Xbox gaming consoles, nor on LG or VIZIO Smart TVs.
- Amazon Fire TV streaming media players
- Android mobile phones and tablets
- Android TV
- Apple iOS mobile phones and tablets
- Apple TV streaming media players
- Google Chromecast casting devices
- Roku streaming media players
- Samsung smart TVs
- Web browsers on computers and laptops
How to download Fubo content on Roku
Roku devices, like most streaming media players, don’t allow users to download content from Fubo and other streaming services. It’s also not possible to download fuboTV to watch offline. However, Fubo does provide a cloud digital video recorder (DVR) feature that enables users to record live TV. The standard Fubo plan comes with 1000 hours of cloud DVR storage space.
The final cut
Fubo’s live TV streaming service offers plenty of choices for cord-cutters, with more than 200 channels to choose from. This includes many of the most popular entertainment, lifestyle, music, and news channels in addition to its many sports options. The standard Fubo plan costs $74.99/mo. but the service has several additional packages and a wide choice of add-ons and premium channels. fuboTV comes with a 7-day free trial for new customers to try the service out before they begin a paid subscription.