As a service with the most robust collection of Disney content, Disney+ is the perfect streaming option for diehard fans. It gives you access to some of those iconic classics that will trigger your nostalgia as well as a few recent hits and Disney+ originals. Not only that, but you even get to watch all the Star Wars movies and shows along with several popular titles from Marvel and Pixar. Read more about what else it offers in our Disney Plus review.
Disney Plus works on a wide range of devices — from smart TVs and streaming devices to gaming consoles and phones. It even supports Vizio TVs, so you won’t have to invest in a new TV or streaming media player just to stream Disney Plus.
This post details the step-by-step process to watch Disney Plus on Vizio. It helps you figure out whether the service works with your Vizio model, and if not, what workaround is available. So let’s find out how to get the Disney Plus Vizio app and how to watch it on your TV.
How to get Disney Plus on Vizio
To watch Disney Plus on Vizio, you’ll need a subscription to the service. It only costs $6.99/mo. or $69.99/yr. if you subscribe to it as a standalone service. Read our Disney Plus pricing guide to learn more about this. But you can even get the bundle offer with ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99/mo. for an even more expansive streaming library and access to live sports. Learn more about this in our Disney Plus + ESPN Plus + Hulu bundle review.
Besides the subscription, you’ll also need a SmartCast-enabled Vizio TV. Disney Plus currently works with any Vizio SmartCast TV from 2016 onwards. Although Vizio TVs, in general, don’t support a lot of apps, these new ones come with a few native options you can use with your TV. Disney Plus is among the few native apps they offer. This means the app will already be there, ready to launch once you power up your TV.
Here’s how you can get Disney Plus on Vizio:
- Sign up for Disney Plus through the official website. To sign up, you need to choose whether you want the standalone service or the bundle. And if you choose to subscribe to Disney+ only, whether you want the annual or monthly plan. Then you provide your email address and create a password, after which you’ll need to enter your payment information.
- Press the “V” button on your remote to access the SmartCast Home screen.
- Then look for the Disney Plus Vizio app under the “Apps” section and select the icon to launch it. Since it comes natively with the TV, you won’t need to install it manually.
- Once you’ve opened the Disney Plus Vizio app, sign in using your Disney+ credentials. You should be able to start streaming Disney Plus on Vizio now.
Can you watch Disney Plus on older Vizio models?
Older Vizio models from before 2016 don’t come with the native Disney Plus app. Plus, they won’t give you the option to install it from an app store. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use these older Vizio models to stream the service.
You can still find a workaround in the form of streaming media players and casting devices that will let you cast the Disney Plus content from your phone or tablet to your TV screen. Chromecast is an excellent solution for this, as it works with many older Vizio TVs.
Here’s how you can watch Disney Plus on Vizio using a Chromecast dongle:
- Connect your Chromecast dongle to your Vizio TV.
- Make sure the Chromecast dongle is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the phone or tablet from which you’re streaming. You can even cast from your Chrome browser if that’s what you prefer.
- Download the Disney Plus app on your phone or tablet and sign in using your credentials. If you’re using a browser, open the Disney Plus website and sign in.
- Choose the movie or show you want to watch and select the “cast” icon on the top right-hand corner of the screen. This icon looks like a square with three concave lines at the bottom.
- Select the Chromecast-connected Vizio TV from among the device list to instantly start playing the Disney Plus content on your TV screen.
How to download Disney Plus content on Vizio
Disney Plus comes with a feature that lets you download videos to watch offline on up to 10 devices. This means you get uninterrupted streams of movies and shows even without an Internet connection. You’ll have 30 days to start watching these downloaded titles, and there aren’t any limits on the number of titles you can download for offline viewing. But once you start watching a downloaded title, you need to finish it within 48 hours.
Unfortunately, Disney Plus only supports this offline viewing feature on Android and iOS devices. That means you won’t be able to download Disney Plus content on your Vizio TV. But if you have a mobile or tablet device, you should be able to download as many titles as you want and watch them offline.
The same goes for many other streaming services including Hulu and Netflix. Although these two services also support downloads on Fire tablets as well, you still won’t get the feature on your Vizio TV.
The final cut
Since Vizio TVs don’t support a lot of apps, they may not be the most ideal option to stream movies and shows online. But if you already own one, these TVs do come with a native Disney Plus app. That means you can start streaming your favorite Disney movies and shows without having to install the app separately.
Even if you own an older Vizio TV model, you can still cast the Disney Plus content from your phone or tablet to your TV. This makes Disney Plus a great streaming option for those who already own a Vizio TV. Although the service no longer offers a free trial, you may still be able to get some great deals and offers on your subscription. Check out our Disney Plus deals and bundles guide before you subscribe.