A treasure trove of Disney content, Disney Plus has taken the streaming industry by storm with its impressive library and premium features. In addition to Disney fare, you’ll also have access to flicks from Marvel and Pixar as well as the entire Star Wars movie franchise, making it the perfect streaming service for pop culture enthusiasts.
Ready to watch your favorite shows? You can get Disney Plus on Apple TV if that’s the streaming device of your choice. In this post, we show you exactly how to watch Disney Plus on Apple TV. If you’re using the Apple TV 4K, you can even stream select Disney+ titles in 4K for an even more outstanding streaming experience.
How to get Disney Plus on Apple TV
To watch Disney Plus on Apple TV, you first need to subscribe and download the app to your device. While you can also sign up from the app on Apple TV, the process is easier to complete if you do it from the website. You can subscribe to Disney Plus for $6.99/mo. or $69.99/yr. You can also opt for the Disney Plus + ESPN Plus + Hulu bundle for additional content. This will set you back by $12.99/mo. and give you access to a robust on-demand streaming library plus some live sports programming.
Here’s a detailed look at how to watch Disney Plus on Apple TV:
- Sign up for Disney Plus through the official website. Choose whether you want to subscribe to Disney Plus on its own or get the bundle plan with ESPN+ and Hulu. After that, you just need to provide your email and payment information as well as create a password to complete the signup process.
- Then go to the App Store from your Apple TV home screen.
- Use the search box to find “Disney+” and click on the “Get” button to begin downloading and installing it to your Apple TV.
- After installation, go back to your Apple TV home screen to find the Disney Plus app. Open the app and sign in with your credentials.
- Pick a movie or show to watch and start streaming.
Can you watch Disney Plus on older Apple TV models?
Although you have an Apple TV, you might not be able to get the Disney Plus app on your device. Disney Plus only works with newer Apple TV models 4th Generation and later. That means you won’t get the app on 1st to 3rd Generation Apple TV models. But even if that’s the case, you can still find a workaround to watch Disney Plus on these older Apple TV models.
Disney Plus supports AirPlay, so you can download the app on your iOS device such as an iPad, iPhone, or iPod and display the content to your Apple TV. Here’s how you can watch Disney Plus on an older Apple TV model:
- Download the Disney Plus app on your iOS device.
- Open the app and sign in.
- Choose the movie or show you want to watch on the app.
- Tap on the “AirPlay” icon, and then select your Apple TV to start watching it on the big screen.
Keep in mind that both the Apple TV and the iOS device you’re streaming on should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network for AirPlay to work.
Disney Plus supported devices
Disney Plus works with a wide range of devices besides your Apple TV. So even if you don’t have an Apple TV or you’re watching Disney Plus from somewhere else, you have several devices to choose from. Here’s a quick look at all the Disney Plus supported devices:
- Amazon Fire tablets.
- Amazon Fire TV devices.
- Android phones and tablets.
- Android TV devices.
- Apple AirPlay.
- Apple iPhones and iPads.
- Apple TV (4th Generation and later).
- LG WebOS Smart TVs.
- Roku devices.
- Samsung Tizen Smart TVs.
- Sony PlayStation 4.
- Vizio SmartCast TVs.
- Xbox One.
How to download Disney Plus content on Apple TV
If you regularly face network interruptions, you might also want to watch Disney Plus content offline on your Apple TV. Luckily, Disney+ gives you the freedom to download as many titles as you want on the app. But it uses your device storage to store these downloaded titles. So make sure you have enough space on your Apple TV to download Disney Plus content.
You’ll be able to access these downloaded titles for as long as you remain a Disney Plus subscriber. But keep in mind that you’ll need to connect your Apple TV to the Internet at least once a month to continue accessing the downloaded titles offline. Any titles that leave Disney Plus will no longer be available to stream even if you’ve downloaded them.
Disney Plus is pretty lenient with its offline viewing feature, allowing you to download titles on up to 10 devices. So even if you use Disney Plus on several other devices besides your Apple TV, you won’t face any restrictions on downloads.
To download Disney Plus content on Apple TV:
- Open the Disney Plus app on your Apple TV.
- Select the movie or show you want to download.
- Click on the download button, which looks like a downward-pointing arrow to begin downloading.
If you’d like to change the download quality or location, go to your App Settings. Under the “Downloads” tab, you’ll see all the ways you can change the settings for your Disney Plus downloads.
The final cut
Apple TV is a great way to stream Disney Plus content due to the seamless user experience and premium features. In particular, the Apple TV 4K makes sense for streaming many of the Disney Plus titles available in 4K. So if you already own an Apple TV and you don’t have a Disney Plus subscription yet, make sure you sign up and get a feel of what the service offers.