ESPN and Joe Hand Promotions announced a deal that will let bars and restaurants stream ESPN+ college sports games this fall through DirecTV.
The agreement comes as bars face a growing problem that many of the biggest sporting events are moving to streaming. Until recently, this meant they couldn’t legally air these games.
ESPN is now offering a way for them to legally stream these games.
The terms of most streaming services state that public streaming of their programs at bars and restaurants is strictly forbidden. This has left many bars worried they wouldn’t be able to air the local big game. ESPN is working to make sure they have an option.
This fall, ESPN+ for Business will offer more than 75 exclusive college football games and 30 non-conference games from the SEC Big 12 and ACC.
Showcase Power Five 2023 non-conference games to be offered OOH on ESPN+ for Business include (subject to change):
- Kansas vs. Missouri State (Sept. 1)
- Ole Miss vs. Mercer (Sept. 2)
- Oklahoma State vs. Central Arkansas (Sept. 2)
- Iowa State vs. Northern Iowa (Sept. 2)
- Baylor vs. Texas State (Sept. 2)
- Oklahoma vs. SMU (Sept. 9)
- Tennessee vs. Austin Peay (Sept. 9)
- LSU vs. Grambling (Sept. 9)
- Georgia Tech vs. South Carolina State (Sept. 9)
- BYU vs. Southern Utah (Sept. 9)
- Baylor vs. Long Island University (Sept. 16)
- Auburn vs. Samford (Sept. 16)
- Texas Tech. vs. Tarleton (Sept. 16)
- Cincinnati vs. Miami (OH) (Sept. 16)
- Oklahoma State vs. South Alabama (Sept. 16)
- UCF vs. Villanova (Sept. 16)
- Alabama vs. Chattanooga (Sept. 23)
- Florida vs. Charlotte (Sept. 23)
- Houston vs. Sam Houston State (Sept. 23)
- Texas A&M vs. Abilene State (Sept. 23)
“Joe Hand Promotions is very pleased to extend its agreement with ESPN and the ESPN+ for Business offerings through 2024,” said Joe Hand Jr, president of Joe Hand Promotions. “ESPN+ for Business offers a great variety of live sports programming for our hospitality clients. As more and more consumers look for alternatives to the pay-TV bundle, we recognize the opportunity at-hand for driving interest in watching live sports outside of the home is more compelling than ever before. We look forward to driving revenue growth and market share expansion for our hospitality clients with ESPN+ for Business, and are thrilled for the upcoming college football season and promoting the unique experience of watching the games with friends, family, and alums alike.”
ESPN+ for Business is only available on DIRECTV for Business. This allows bars to continue to show games that could have been blocked out for them.