Last week Discovery quietly launched a new streaming service called Dreams TV. This new service has custom videos created specifically to be viewed on your phone. Dreams TV is a joint partnership with media partners including Discovery, Bloomberg, and BBC Studios.
Dreams TV uses a “computer vision technology” system to take video made for your TV and re-edit it to better fit your phone. The company’s software will also convert live TV news into a vertical video format in real-time, enabling the first-ever live, 24/7 vertical video news channels.
“We started Dreams to redesign TV for your phone,” said co-founder Tom Bender. “We wanted a home screen icon for fun, free TV.”
“As the global leader in real life entertainment, Discovery is excited to extend the reach of its high-quality and trusted brands through Dreams,” said Bruce Campbell, chief development, distribution and legal officer at Discovery. “The four made-for-mobile channels we are launching on Dreams give us a unique opportunity to showcase our deeply loved current content and future shows to mobile viewers in a bespoke format curated specifically to them.”
Today, Dreams launches its first wave of new mobile TV channels (in alphabetical order):
- Animal Planet: The premier network for all things animals. Featured shows include River Monsters, Too Cute!, and the Puppy Bowl.
- Bloomberg: The leading global business and financial news channel providing data, news, and analysis to decision-makers around the world.
- Discovery Channel: Compelling nonfiction that informs and entertains. Featured shows include Survivorman, Storm Chasers, andDual Survival.
- Food Network: Connecting viewers to the power and joy of food. Including iconic, fan-favorite shows such as Good Eats, Iron Chef America, and Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
- Geo: A visually stunning mobile nature channel featuring premium, long-form nature and animal documentaries licensed from BBC Studios.
- HGTV: America’s favorite way to get entertaining, relatable. and inspirational home and lifestyle content. Featured shows include My First Place, Extreme Homes, and Tiny House Hunters.
- Newsflash: A new mobile news channel featuring live feeds of major world events.
- Slow: Minimalist, ultra-longform “slow TV” featuring soothing shots of landscapes, streams, and rainfall.
- VHS: Full episodes of fun 80s and 90s shows, including Bob Ross (The Joy of Painting), Inspector Gadget, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.