DIRECTV STREAM has a history of name changes, including DIRECTV NOW, AT&T TV, AT&T TV NOW, and more. Now the DIRECTV STREAM with Device option will come under the DIRECTV name umbrella.
With this naming shift, DIRECTV will now be available via the internet or satellite. It will be the same price for both, but DIRECTV satellite and DIRECTV internet will have some extra channels that DIRECTV STREAM does not, but both plans will be the same price.
Now many dates have been posted online about this reported shift happening in April, but the date is subject to change.
It is important to note that other than the name, not a lot will change for DIRECTV STREAM customers. The channel lineup won’t be changing, and the price won’t be changing.
For now, the DIRECTV STREAM name won’t entirely be going away right away. If you have your own device like a Roku, you will still see the DIRECTV STREAM name for now according to documents posted online,.
The good news is DIRECTV via the internet will now come with a 24-month price lock guarantee after this merger. Meaning you won’t have to worry about price hikes anytime soon if you go with DIRECTV via the internet. You will also not be paying fees for device rentals, for example.
Here is what Cord Cutters News has been told customers should expect after this happens.
What Customers Can Expect –
New Customers with Equipment
- Customers ordering any type of DIRECTV service with equipment will experience one DIRECTV ‘umbrella’ brand.
- There will continue to be two technology delivery options for DIRECTV service.
- Based on the type of technology delivery method, service will be called via SATELLITE or via INTERNET.
New Customers Without Equipment (BYOD)
- New customers that do not order DIRECTV service with equipment (BYOD) will be directed to DIRECTVSTREAM.com
- DIRECTV equipment gives customers the BEST experience & customers should only be referred to directvstream.com after DIRECTV satellite and/or DIRECTV internet have been offered as a solution.
- Existing DIRECTV STREAM customers with & without a DIRECTV STREAM device will continue with services under the DIRECTV STREAM name for now. DIRECTV STREAM with Device customers will be brought under the DIRECTV brand in the future.
- Account management functions on com will continue.
Update: This post has been updated with new details and for clarity.