Do you want live TV but don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for it? Don’t care about live sports? Right now, three of the cheapest options for live TV are Comcast’s Now TV, Philo, and Frndly TV. All are budget-friendly options that ca
rry a lot of bang for your buck, with options for $25 and less. All three options are monthly subscription based, which means you do not have to sign a contract to watch your favorite movies and shows on live channels.
Comcast’s Now TV is now five months old since its official launch and some of its competitors have made a lot of changes recently. So we are going to dive down deep and take a look at which services could be the right one for you.
Below is a breakdown of each service to help you determine which fits your needs the best.
What Device Do I Need to Watch?
One of the first things you need to ask is will these services work on the devices you own.
|Device||Philo||Frndly TV||Now TV|
|Android TV & Google TV||✓||✓|
Philo lineup includes over 70 live channels and on-demand content. Frndly‘s subscribers can watch over 40 channels live and on-demand. (channel listings are subject to change). Comcast Now TV includes Peacock Premium also with its options, along with its cable channels and a ton of free channels from Xumo Play.
|American Heroes Channel||✓|
|BBC World News||✓||✓|
|Cowboy Way Channel||✓|
|Crime + Investigation||✓||✓||✓|
|Deck the Hallmark||✓|
|Dove Family Movies||✓|
|Game Show Network||✓||✓|
|Great American Family||✓||✓||✓|
|Great American Living||✓||✓||✓|
|Hallmark Movies & Mysteries||✓||✓||✓|
|Heroes & Icons||✓||✓|
|Oprah Winfrey Network||✓||✓|
|STARZ Kids & Family*||✓*|
*Channels are add-ons
Plans, Pricing, Add-Ons & Features
Philo offers subscribers 70+ live channels for the low price of $25 per month. Popular channels include A&E, AMC, BET, Food Network, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, VH1, and more. Its a great option for anyone who doesn’t care about sports.
You can stream on up to three devices at the same time and users can create up to 10 profiles per account. Plus, record your favorite shows with unlimited DVR and save them for a year one of the best option for unlimited DVR.
Although the streamer only has one plan, if you’re interested in adding on more channels, you have a few different add-on options, and they each come with a 7-day free trial:
- MGM+: For an additional $6 per month, the MGM+ add-on features thousands of the latest hits, fan favorites, original series, documentaries, and comedy specials – all commercial-free streaming on MGM+, MGM+ Marquee, and MGM+ Hits.
- STARZ: The STARZ add-on gives you access to today’s hits, classic movies, and bold original series – all commercial-free on STARZ, STARZ ENCORE, and STARZ Kids & Family for $9 more per month.
- Movie & More: At an additional $3 per month, the Movies & More add-on is the lowest-priced option and it features award-winning films, cult classics, celebrity stories, documentaries, and more on HDNet Movies, REELZ, Sony Movies, and FMC.
Frndly offers 40+ channels live and on-demand starting at $6.99 per month. Plus, subscribers can try it out for free before they subscribe. Frndly offers popular channels including A&E, Hallmark, Lifetime, Vice, and more. The service has a loopback feature that allows users to rewatch shows 72 hours after the initial airing.
Here are all the plans Frndly TV currently offers:
- Basic: Frndly’s starter package includes 40+ channels live and on-demand, SD video quality, and users can watch one screen at a time for $7.99 per month.
- Classic: For $9.99 per month, subscribers can watch all the channels Frndly has to offer in HD video quality. Plus, the plan includes unlimited DVR recordings that you can keep for 3 months and you can watch 2 screens at a time.
- Premium: The Premium plan unlocks everything that Frndly has to offer. For 11.99 per month, subscribers can watch all 40+ channels in HD video quality with unlimited DVR recording that you can keep for 9 months. Plus, you can watch on 4 screens at a time.
Now TV costs $20 a month.
Who can subscribe to the Now TV service?
You need to be a Comcast Xfinity internet customer to subscribe.
DVR & On-demand Support
Good news Now TV will come with 20 hours of DVR and on-demand content from the networks that are a part of the service.
What will the cost be, and how do you signup?
Now TV will cost $20 a month and is contract-free. You can signup for Now TV at Xfinity.com
Which Service Should You Pick?
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly streaming option, then Now TV, Philo and Frndly are three of the best options on the market. Depending on your needs and your viewing habits, you cannot go wrong with either!