Today, Comcast and Spectrum announced the long-awaited Xumo Stream Box is now available nationwide to Spectrum customers and coming soon to Comcast customers. The device will integrate the company’s live TV service alongside popular streaming services. According to the ads, the box will be free for Spectrum TV customers for 12 months and come with a fee after that.
Update: Spectrum has confirmed a Cord Cutters News that the box will cost you $60 up front or $5 a month depending on how you want to pay for it. Spectrum TV customers can get it free for 12 months before they have to start paying..
“Watching TV was designed to be a relaxing, lean-back experience, but today’s fractured entertainment landscape has added a level of complexity that makes finding something to watch more burdensome for consumers,” said Marcien Jenckes, President, Xumo. “When we started Xumo, we set out with the ambition to take the decades of entertainment experience and technical innovation from Comcast and Charter and build a complete entertainment experience that breaks down the streaming silos and makes TV easy again.”
“Xumo is streaming simplified, bringing a live TV experience together with all the top apps,” said Rich DiGeronimo, President, Product and Technology for Charter. “With Xumo Stream Box, customers have endless entertainment options simplified, with aggregated search across apps and curated content offerings based on the customer’s interests and subscriptions, which will be even more powerful as direct-to-consumer apps are included with Spectrum service.”
Here are some highlights of the new streaming player:
- Leading with live: Upon startup, customers will see live video playing from the device’s primary video service app such as Spectrum TV, Xfinity Stream or Xumo Play. Additionally, a built-in channel guide makes browsing through subscribed channels a seamless part of the Entertainment OS experience.
- Hundreds of built-in apps: Xumo Stream Box comes with the ability to access hundreds of subscription-based and ad-supported streaming apps, including Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, Max, Netflix, Peacock, Pluto, Prime Video, Tubi, Xumo Play and more.
- Seamless browsing: A curated, content-forward viewing experience that blends AI-driven personalization and human-led editorial recommendations to help customers find something to watch without having to jump in and out of apps.
- Universal voice search: Emmy-award winning voice technology allows customers to discover content quickly from available apps and services with a simple voice command into the remote.
- Favorite lists for every member of the household: WithMy List, customers can create multiple lists of their favorite shows and movies – regardless of where that content lives or how it’s delivered (live or on-demand) – giving every member of the family a personalized destination to quickly jump into what they want to watch next.