Today, Comcast announced that Xfinity internet customers can now get the Xumo Stream Box. This streaming player is an updated version of the Xfinity Flex streaming player that has been on the market for some time. Comcast says this new streaming player will make finding content to watch easier.
This streaming player is a joint effort with Charter’s Spectrum. Comcast says this streaming player has over 250 apps and comes with 300+ free live TV channels.
These boxes will cost you $5 a month and a $15 one-time activation fee. Also, customers are limited to just three devices per account. So if you own more than 3 TVs you will need to get a different streaming player for the other TVs. Unlike with Spectrum, there doesn’t seem to be any option to buy the box and not pay the monthly fee. Comcast says if you stop paying for these boxes you must return them to Comcast.
Update: Comcast has confirmed that internet customers can get one free Xumo Stream Box and they will waive the activation fee. Each additional box comes with a monthly fee and activation fee. Also the $15 activation fee is per account not per device for these streaming players.
“Finding something to watch across streaming apps can be frustrating and time consuming for customers,” said John Dixon, Senior Vice President, Entertainment. “Xumo Stream Box helps simplify streaming so customers can spend less time searching and more time watching with key features like live TV at start-up, leading voice search, an integrated guide, and all the most popular apps preloaded and ready to watch.”
Unlike Spectrum who is using the Xumo Stream Box as its main TV player Comcast is not selling these to TV customers. Only Xfinity Internet customers who do not pay for Xfinity TV can buy one.
Comcast says with the Xumo Stream Box from Xfinity, customers can:
Spend more time watching, less time searching:
- Customers can search for a show or movie by saying its name into the included voice remote, and Xumo Stream Box will search across available apps and services to find it.
- Xumo Stream Box uses both AI-driven personalization and an in-house editorial team to surface content recommendations within the experience, helping customers find something to watch without having to jump in and out of apps.
Access Xfinity Stream channels quickly and easily:
- Live channels from Xfinity Stream are always front and center on Xumo Stream Box, making it easy for broadband customers to find something to watch among the app’s 20+ FAST channels, and for NOW TV customers to quickly access and enjoy their 40+ streaming channels from A&E, AMC, Hallmark, Warner Bros. Discovery, and more.
- New features like the “currently playing” tile that shows what’s airing on the last Xfinity Stream channel the customer watched, and the built-in channel guide makes browsing Xfinity Stream channels a seamless part of the experience.
Instant app access, with more ways to personalize than ever:
- Xumo Stream Box comes preloaded with hundreds of streaming apps, no need for customers to download before they watch. They can simply say the name of the streaming service into the voice remote, and Xumo Stream Box will find and launch it.
- For the first time, Xfinity customers will be able to build personalized viewing lists for every member of the family with “My List.” With just one click, customers can add any show or movie available on Xumo Stream Box to a specific list, giving them a quick way to find what to watch next.
Terms & Conditions:
Restrictions apply. Not available to current Xfinity TV customers. Requires post-paid subscription to Xfinity Internet, excluding Internet Essentials. Taxes, fees and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change. One-time $15 activation fee per account. Limited to 3 devices. Currently, one device included with monthly Xfinity Internet service. Additional devices $5/mo. Pricing is subject to change. Taxes, fees and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change. All devices must be returned when service ends. Separate charges apply to On Demand and certain streaming services. Viewing will count against any Comcast data plan.
Separate subscriptions required to access Peacock, Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, Spotify, STARZ®, SHOWTIME®, and Max™, and Disney+. Peacock Premium is $5.99/month. Access to Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu and YouTube on Xfinity requires an eligible set-top box with Internet service. Disney+, Netflix streaming, and Amazon Prime Video membership required. Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube, and all other streaming services use your Internet service and will count against any Xfinity data plan. Programming subject to change. Streaming content limited to the U.S.