Rakuten Viki is a premier destination for Asian content, so if you can’t wait to watch Mulan on Disney+ this Friday, check out some of these Asian period titles with inspiring female leads while you wait. Rakuten Viki has more than 1,300 TV shows and movies from Korea, Japan, and mainland China and Taiwan all for free with ads. Not into advertisements? Upgrade to the Standard tier for $4.99 a month, or Plus Pass for $9.99.
- Legend of Fuyao – Only she can restore peace to the land. Meng Fuyao (Yang Mi) is a young woman who was born out of a divine lotus petal. She masters an invincible fighting technique at the age of 16 and then embarks on a journey to collect the secret talismen from five kingdoms that will gain her entry into a sacred land called the Firmament. On her journey, Fuyao falls in love with the Crown Prince Zhangsun Wuji (Ethan Juan), who helps her to fight the powerful political forces along the way.
- Princess Agents – During the lawless times of the Northern Wei, innocent citizens were kidnapped and turned into slaves. Chu Qiao (Zhao Li Ying) is one of the unlucky people who becomes enslaved and then thrown into a forest as a hunting target for the rich lords. Yan Xun (Dou Xiao), the Prince of Northern Yan, rescues Chu Qiao, and they develop a strong bond. But when she becomes embroiled with the powerful Yuwen family and Yuwen Yue (Lin Geng Xin) takes an interest in her, Chu Qiao will have to decide where her loyalties lie.
- The Song of Glory – With powerful aristocrats clamouring for power, the people of the Song Empire have succumbed to the ensuing chaos. Desperate to bring peace to his crumbling nation, the young prince, Liu Yi Kang (Qin Hao), is willing to do whatever it takes to save his people, but the road before him will not be easy. With most of the country’s powerful families plotting against him, Yi Kang’s list of allies is growing dangerously thin. Knowing the only way to strengthen his position is to ally himself with a mighty family, Yi Kang agrees to an alliance through marriage with the powerful Shen family. A family with deep military roots, the Shen family can provide the strength Yi Kang needs to enact the reform necessary to oust the aristocrats bent on destroying the nation. With the family’s brilliant and beautiful, Shen Li Ge (Li Qin) by his side, the two begin the arduous task of reformation.
- The Flame’s Daughter – When a woman’s life is forever changed by the evil acts of a vengeful man, can the three men who love her help rectify the wrong? A man named An Ye Luo lashes out when the woman he loves decides to marry a wandering warrior. To get revenge, he switches their daughter with the newborn son of the Lie Huo Pavilion. The daughter, Lie Ru Ge (Dilraba Dilmurat), grows up as the heiress of Lie Huo Pavilion who is loved by three very different men. The son, Zhan Feng (Zhang Bin Bin), is taken in as a disciple of Lie Huo Pavilion, after his father’s death. He becomes the first love of Ru Ge who will eventually breaks her heart. The skilled martial artist Yin Xue (Vic Chou) harbors a one-sided love for Ru Ge but enters into a life of immortality just for the chance to see Ru Ge again. The disabled prince Yu Zi Han (Wayne Liu) steadfastly remains by Ru Ge as her true friend despite starting to lose most of his senses. But when Ye Luo reappears to weave more vengeful lies to tear Ru Ge and Zhan Feng apart and bring turmoil to the nation, can Ru Ge and the men who love her seek out the truth and restore peace?
- The Story of Ming Lan – Sheng Ming Lan (Zhao Li Ying) has been mistreated by her legal mother and half siblings her whole life after her mother’s death. Although she is the daughter of an official, she is the sixth child, and is often looked down on despite her beauty and intelligence. Throughout her years of suffering, she decides to devise a plan to avenge her mother’s death. In order to do so, she must be patient and hide her true intentions from everyone else in the dynasty. One day, Ming Lan, meets Gu Ting Ye (Feng Shao Feng), the hedonistic son of the Marquis of Ningyuan. They fall in love and over the years their relationship leads to marriage. As a power couple working towards the same goals, can they avenge Ming Lan’s mother’s death?
- The King’s Woman – During the Warring States Era, the most beautiful woman in the land captures the hearts of two very powerful men. Gong Sun Li (Dilraba Dilmurat) is the granddaughter and disciple of the powerful military commander Gong Sun Yu. The first disciple Jing Ke (Liu Chang) and Li have always been in love with each other since childhood. When the Qin troops attack, Jing Ke is poisoned while trying to protect Li. In order to save Jing Ke, Li agrees to marry Ying Zheng (Zhang Bin Bin), the King of the Qin State, but discovers that she is already pregnant with Jing Ke’s baby. Ying Zheng has always been in love with Li and accepts the child as his own. As Li gets to know the kinder, gentler side of the ruthless ruler, she begins to fall in love with him. Where will her allegiance lie when Jing Ke comes to the palace to assassinate Ying Zheng?
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews. Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help