A tidal wave of pink swept Max today as Barbie made its streaming debut. The platform is now the exclusive home of Barbie Land, complete with pink menus, customizable avatars, and Barbie with ASL, featuring ASL performer Leila Hanaumi.
Barbie lands on Max after shattering records at the box office. The Warner Bros. Picture film, which premiered alongside Oppenheimer to create the “Barbenheimer” phenomenon, became the highest-grossing global release in the studio’s 100-year history, earning more than $1.44 billion worldwide. It’s the 14th highest-grossing movie, according to IGN, ahead of Avengers: Age of Ultron, which grossed $1.40 billion.
Barbie with ASL features the record-breaking movie interpreted in American Sign Language. The film is produced for Max with Hanaumi, known for her performances in “The Laramie Project” for Deaf Austin Theatre and the ASL cover for Tove Lo’s “True Romance” music video. The film is on the Max homescreen next to the Barbie movie, marked with the sign language symbol.
The platform sports a snazzy pink homepage to mark Barbie’s debut on Max, along with a pink and white logo, pink menus, and a unique cursor animation. Members can further customize their profiles with avatars like Stereotypical Barbie (Margot Robbie), Stereotypical Ken (Ryan Gosling), Gloria (America Ferrera), Dr. Barbie (Hari Nef), President Barbie (Issa Rae), Allan (Michael Cera), and other characters from the film.
Max also has a new Barbie Land Collection featuring extra content, including:
- Becoming Barbie – See how Margot Robbie and the incredible Barbie crew crafted an iconic look for the leading role.
- Barbie Transportation Sequences – Go behind the scenes for a look at how the crew pulled off Barbie and Ken’s memorable journey into the real world.
- Greta’s Vision – The cast and crew discuss writer/director Greta Gerwig’s approach to bringing the world of Barbie to life.
- I’m Just Ken Music Video – An exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the making of the music video.
- Musical Make-Believe: Disco Dance – A behind-the-scenes look at the choreography and filming of the spectacular disco dance scene in Barbie.
- Musical Make-Believe: Doing War – An exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the making of the epic Ken Battle scene.
- Musical Make-Believe: Ken’s Ballet – See how the Ken Ballet number came together, including a behind-the-scenes look at the cast recording with Mark Ronson.
- We Are Barbie – Join the stars of the film as they discuss what makes each of their Barbie characters unique.
- Let’s Play Dress Up: An interactive scavenger hunt to find icons such as lipstick or high-heeled shoes that reveal hidden titles such as:
- Every Night is Girls’ Night
- More From the Cast
- This Barbie Is…
- Mojo Dojo Casa House
- I Am Kenough
- Behind the Sequins