The Apple TV app and Apple TV on Monday unveiled a refreshed home screen that adds a sidebar, allowing you to more easily access your favorite shows, movies and channels.
The Apple TV streaming player has been updated with the tvOS 17.2 update, which brings the same interface changes. You will no longer find iTunes movies or TV shows now; you will find all of that in the Apple TV app. Also, you will be able to make FaceTime calls on your TV with your Apple TV.
The redesign is a slight departure from the previous tile-based interface, which mimicked a large iPhone screen. The sidebar consolidates key sections like Apple TV+ content, sports programming, your library of content and other channels you’ve subscribed to, whether it’s Prime Video, Disney+, or Max. The apps on the Apple TV box, iPhone, and iPad have all been updated with this new look.
The change comes as more services are attempting to become “hubs” for viewing content. Amazon’s Prime Video Channels has folded in other subscription services, including Max, Crunchyroll, and Paramount+, into its app, creating a one-stop shop for several different streamers. Likewise, Apple TV is trying to do the same by aggregating several together into a single interface.
The key addition is the top billing of the “Home” section, which gives users access to their different subscribed channels and connected apps. It also includes collections like new shows and top charts.
“The redesigned Apple TV app makes it easier than ever for users to watch the shows, movies, and sports they love through an intuitive interface that brings content to the forefront,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Services. “With so much available to watch, our aim is to ensure users always have their favorites at their fingertips.”
In smart TV devices, the sidebar will also include a “profiles” option, allowing people to switch between users and their own personalized library of shows and movies and recommendations.
The interface also gives its MLS Season Pass add-on a prominent position in the sidebar.
Apple also said that the iTunes Store app on the iPhone and iPad, and the iTunes Movies and iTunes TV Shows apps on the Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD will redirect users to the Apple TV app.
Here are all the changes in tvOS 17:
Apple TV app
- The new sidebar makes it easier to navigate and find something great to watch.
- All your subscribed channels and connected apps can now be found under Channels & Apps in the sidebar and in Home.
- iTunes movies and shows have moved to the Apple TV app. Buy and rent from the Store, and find your purchases in the Library.
- Watch Now is now called Home, where you can browse movies and TV shows.
- Ability to answer calls directly on your Apple TV 4K.
- Support for FaceTime audio calls on Apple TV 4K.
- Calls can now move from your Apple TV 4K to your iPhone or iPad.
FaceTime is supported on Apple TV 4K (2nd generation or later).
- Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital surround sound formats are now available while watching something together with SharePlay.
- Audio focus lets you choose to hear more of what motivates your workout, whether it’s the trainer’s voice or the music.
- Onscreen search can start from anywhere inside supported apps like TV and Music. Press the Siri button to dictate a search.
- Now includes language support for Arabic in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates, Malay in Malaysia, and Turkish in Türkiye to help you find shows, music, and more using just your voice.
Siri availability and functionality vary by country or region.