Update: Amazon has reached out to clarify that this upcoming launch is for Prime Video Channels in Canada. This will allso Prime users to add channels to their Prime Video account for a more convenient login and viewing experience.
Canada has always struggled to get access to the same streaming services that Americans have. Now Amazon is launching its long-rumored live TV streaming service but in Canada, not the United States.
According to CBC Amazon will launch a live TV streaming service in Canada designed to mimic cable TV. Amazon’s new service will reportedly include popular networks like Nickelodeon, Super Channel, and Hollywood Suite. Sadly not all channels are joining in as CBC, Bell Media’s CTV and TSN, as well as Rogers-owned channels, like Citytv and the OMNI have all elected not to join Amazon’s new live TV streaming service.
“We are excited to soon bring even more selection to our Prime members in Canada with the upcoming launch of Prime Video Channels,” said Greg Hart, Vice President of Amazon Prime Video. “By simplifying our customers’ entertainment experience all within the Prime Video app, we can make it even easier to select, subscribe and enjoy TV shows and movies from our channel providers, like STARZ, hayu and Nickelodeon. Prime Video Channels also allows us to team up with Canadian content producers and broadcasters like Corus Entertainment to build unique products like STACKTV for our Canadian Prime members.”
“Corus is committed to providing best in class content to our audiences wherever and whenever they want it, and STACKTV delivers exactly that,” said Doug Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer, Corus Entertainment. “Working with Amazon to provide top tier TV brands through Prime Video Channels allows us to reach new audiences, while offering consumers ease of access, choice, and must-see content.”
Here is some of the add-ons you will be able to access from Amazon Channels in Canada:
· Acorn TV – Exclusive originals, addictive dramas, arresting mysteries and more from Britain and beyond, including fan favorites such as Doc Martin, A Place to Call Home, and Line of Duty for $7.49.
· hayu – From NBCUniversal International, has loads of shows the same day as TV and thousands of episodes of binge-worthy reality series right from the beginning; hayu is Canada’s home of reality programming for $5.99.
· Hollywood Suite – Unlimited access to the movies that shaped the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s , plus essential Hollywood classics from the Golden Age, all for $4.99.
· Love Nature – Discover nature through original series, shorts and documentaries for the whole family, presented in 4K and HD for $3.99.
· MGM – Offering hit television series, as well as popular and classic films from MGM Studios for $3.99. Titles include Get Shorty, Teen Wolf, the ROCKY collection, Legally Blonde 1&2, Overboard (1987), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999 and 1968), Silence of the Lambs, Hoosiers and Barbershop 1&2.
· Nickelodeon – Popular kids TV programming targeted to pre-schoolers and young adults, including favourites Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, iCarly and more for $5.99.
· OUTtv – Canada’s national LGBTQ+ television network that offers hits like RuPaul’s Drag Race along with a compelling mix of drama, comedy, talk, documentaries and award-winning movies for $3.99.
· Shudder – The largest selection of high-quality, handpicked classics and original horror, thrillers, and supernatural for $5.99.
· Smithsonian Channel – Award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science and pop culture for $3.99.
· STACKTV – Offering the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 of Corus’ great networks. This all-in, entertainment multi-pack from Corus includes popular shows like NCIS, Big Brother and Survivor for $12.99. Customers can enjoy both live and on-demand programming, including content from Adult Swim, Food Network, Global, HGTV, History, National Geographic, Slice, Showcase, Teletoon, Treehouse, W Network and YTV.
· STARZ – STARZ is the home in Canada for all new STARZ Original series, full seasons of hit television series, and a vast library of all-time favourite Hollywood movies. Available for $5.99.
· Sundance Now – Offers a gripping and rich selection of true crime, fiercely intelligent thrillers, and heart-stopping dramatic series from around the world for $6.99.
· Super Channel – Four diverse linear channels plus on demand, with access to hits including Harlots, Mr. Mercedes, Pure and When Calls the Heart as well as access to library films and e-sports, all for $9.99.
Amazon still has not announced the full list of channels that will be streaming live on this new service but Greg Hart the vice president of Amazon Prime Video said he hopes that voids in the lineup will be filled over time.”We’d love to have sports available… and we look forward to adding that,” he said in a phone interview with the CBS. “Sometimes those are a little more complicated to bring off.”
Amazon has are not announced when the service will launch but says it will launch “soon.”
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!