40% of Pay TV Subscribers Could Be Next to Cut the Cord, Research Shows





scissors cutting cord

scissors cutting cordAccording to new research from analyst firm MoffettNathanson, 40% of current pay TV subscribers could join the millions of households that have cut the cord this year. That report points out that while 60% of those paying for a cable subscription to watch sports are likely to keep their subscription, the other 40% could be the next to drop cable in favor of cord cutting.

We saw huge losses across the board for cable companies in the third quarter of this year, with AT&T alone losing 1.358 million subscribers. The company has commented that they’re only interested in profitable customers, saying “customers rolling off promotional discounts, programmer disputes and competition as well as lower gross adds due to the continued focus on adding higher value customers.”

MoffettNathanson warned that this strategy of focusing only on profitable customers could cause even greater losses as we go into 2020. However, the analyst firm says that subscriber losses are likely to slow down by mid-year.

“In addition, as each cable company continues pushing Flex and other OTT products to their customer base, cord cutting becomes ever easier,” analyst Michael Nathanson wrote. “This could add further pressure to the pay TV ecosystem and keep the rate of cord cutting elevated in 2020.”

Fierce Video shared an estimation from UBS of cable subscriber losses totaling 6.2 million in 2020, compared to the estimated 6.4 million from this year.

Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews. Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like http://Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from :

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices here.