I recently got my hands on the new 2017 Roku Express and decided to do a little unboxing and a head to head with the older 2016 Roku Express. The main question I wanted to answer is would it be worth upgrading. Roku says the 2017 Roku Express is 5x more powerful than the older version so we decided to take a look and see if it really is faster for the end users.
For our full review please watch this YouTube Video:
Roku Express 2017 details:
- 802.11 (b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support
- Up-scaling 720p to 1080p on HD TVs
- Audio features
- Digital stereo over HDMI®, DTS Digital Surround™ pass through over HDMI®
- Roku standard IR remote with channel shortcut buttons
- Streaming player includes IR receiver (compatible with various universal remotes)
Roku Express 2016 details:
- The all-new Roku Express delivers fast HD streaming at an incredible price.
- There are no monthly rental fees for owning a Roku Express-it’s so affordable, you can make every TV in your home smart.
- Because Roku Express is from Roku, you’ll get great features like an easy-to-use remote, simple navigation, and unbiased search across top channels.
- Roku Express – HD Streaming Player does not include composite cabels
- Refer manual before use for troubleshooting steps
After testing out the 2017 Roku Express I would highly recommend upgrading. There is a noticeable speed improvement that makes the 2017 Roku Express well worth the $29.99 price.
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.