Disney World just got a brand new ride today. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway opened at Disney’s the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
The ride is located inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios inside the replica of the famous Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard that’s been in the theme park since 1989. The ride is based on a train as the name suggests, and riders are whisked into an explosion of Mickey cartoon nostalgia that was created with “a combination of physical sets, Audio-Animatronics figures, animated media and projection-mapping techniques,” according to Disney.
Since many of us can’t make it to Florida any time soon, Mickey cartoons are the next best thing to cure your FOMO. Here’s a list of 10 classic Mickey Mouse cartoons to watch on Disney+.
- Steamboat Willie (1928) – The first Mickey Mouse cartoon released, and the first cartoon with synchronized sound. Mickey Mouse is a mischievous deckhand on a riverboat that is under the command of the tyrannical Captain Pete.
- Mickey Mouse: The Band Concert (1935) – Mickey is a frustrated bandleader who must deal with obnoxious peanut vendor and flute player Donald Duck, who tries to persuade the band to play “Turkey in the Straw,” and a cyclone hits before his concert of “William Tell Overture” is completed.
- Mickey Mouse Thru the Mirror (1936) – Mickey dreams that he steps through his bedroom mirror, into a land where inanimate objects come to life.
- Mickey Mouse: Hawaiian Holiday (1937) – Mickey and gang experience Hawaii through hula dancing and the beach.
- Tugboat Mickey (1940) – As Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are preparing their tugboat to head out to sea, they receive a distress call from a sinking ship.
- Fantasia (1940) – Walt Disney’s timeless masterpiece is an extraordinary blend of classic music with innovative animation. Featuring eight sequences – see the music come to life and hear the pictures burst into song in this groundbreaking film
- Fun and Fancy Free (1947) – Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and Jiminy Cricket star in two classic animated featurettes. Come along as Jiminy Cricket tells the story of Bongo, a circus bear who wants nothing more than to be back with his friends and family in the wild. Then, severe drought leaves Mickey, Donald, and Goofy with a solitary bean…which sprouts a massive beanstalk to the heavens.
- Mickey Mouse Club (1955) – The Mickey Mouse Club is a classic variety show from the 1950s. The children’s program features the famous Mouseketeers, who entertain with song and dance numbers.
- The Prince & the Pauper (1990) – In a faraway kingdom, two boys who look exactly alike meet by chance and decide to switch places: a pauper named Mickey and the Crown Prince. Together they must figure out how to save the kingdom from an evil Captain who wants the throne for himself!
- The Three Musketeers (2004) – This animated musical version of the classic adventure tale features best friends Donald and Goofy as small-time janitors with big dreams of becoming musketeers…and saving Princess Minnie.
Bonus content to help you experience behind the scenes details on Disney theme parks from the comfort of your couch:
- Disneyland Around the Seasons (1967) – Walt Disney talks about the changes taking place at Disneyland Park and leads us on a tour to point out the newest rides, attractions, and adventures in this documentary.
- Imagineering Story (2019) Given unprecedented access, Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Leslie Iwerks, leads the viewer on a journey behind the curtains of Walt Disney Imagineering, the little known design and development center of The Walt Disney Company, to discover what it takes to create and build Disney theme parks around the world.
Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.
Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews. Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.