For the hands on review of the Sling TV DVR please watch the YouTube Video at the top of this post.
“Unlike other OTT services, we’re delivering a true cloud DVR with no 28-day restriction on your recordings, marking another win for Sling TV and our customers,” said Roger Lynch, CEO of Sling TV. “Two years ago we became the first live OTT provider, and we continue to innovate and bring the best experience to our customers.”
Cloud DVR features
- Availability – Cloud DVR will be available across all Roku devices to beta customers who subscribe to the single-stream service, Sling Orange, and/or the multi-stream service, Sling Blue.
- Entertainment on your time – Record movies, episodes or full series, with the ability to pause, rewind or fast-forward recorded content. DVR functionality not available on all channels.
- Conflict-free recording – Users may record multiple programs simultaneously, with no recording conflicts.
- Easy access – DVR content is integrated directly into Sling TV’s “My TV” screen for immediate access to recordings.
- Simple space management – Sling TV automatically manages DVR space to make room for new recordings by deleting the oldest ‘watched’ recording when capacity is full.
- Up to 100 hours of cloud DVR storage at no extra charge
- More features to come – Sling TV will continue to evolve the cloud DVR throughout the beta time period based on customer feedback and usage behavior. DVR features planned for future development include the ability to upgrade storage space and protect recordings.
Cord Cutters News has talked with Sling TV and can confirm that only Disney owned channels like ESPN, ABC, the Disney Channel, and some Fox owned channels like FS1 will NOT support the DVR option. All other Sling TV channels will support the new DVR beta including channels like Hallmark, AMC, and many other popular channels.
How to sign up for the cloud DVR beta:
We are unsure if Sling TV is taking new signups for the closed beta but here is how you can sign up.
Sling TV subscribers using Roku devices may request an invitation to participate in the cloud DVR beta program by submitting their current Sling TV credentials to www.sling.com/dvr. Submission of email address does not guarantee admittance into the beta program. Selected subscribers will receive a confirmation at their subscriber email address with additional steps required to activate the cloud DVR functionality.
Participants in the beta program will test the new cloud DVR functionality and are encouraged to provide feedback to the Sling TV product team by emailing DVR@Sling.com. Beta users must agree to usage terms and conditions to participate in the cloud DVR beta program.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.